Methadone is a synthetic opioid agonist medication. It’s prescribed to patients suffering from opiate withdrawal. And is mostly useful to stop or reduce cravings in opioid-addicted individuals. It is also helpful in blocking the illicit opioids.
But continued use of this drug can lead to addiction. And if that happens, a sudden stop to the use of methadone will lead to a withdrawal syndrome. Even though the syndrome is not life-threatening, it can be extremely unpleasant.
Of course, an effective way for withdrawal treatment would be to work with a healthcare service provider who’ll put one on a tapering treatment that gradually lowers doses of the drug. But, there are other natural ways that can also help one deal with their addiction such as using Kratom.
Kratom has for some time been used to treat methadone addiction. This article explains how it does that and if there are any side effects.
A Brief Introduction to Kratom
Unless you are a new Kratom user, you’ve probably have heard about this herb. It’s a plant that grows in Southeast Asia whose leaves have been used for a very long time to cure pain. Ever since it was first introduced to western countries’ markets, individuals have used it to treat a variety of ailments. And one of them is withdrawal from methadone.
- Although there is no scientific evidence to back it up, many persons claim that this herb is useful in helping them to quickly recover without any need to enroll in a rehab center.
- But it’s important to note that a high percentage of these claims come from online forums and not credible medical organizations which make the pieces of evidence purely anecdotal.
How this drug is Used
Doctors usually prescribe methadone to individuals who are suffering from opioids withdrawal such as heroin. It is used as part of medical withdrawal treatment and prescriptions of this drug are accompanied by counseling sessions and active participation in social support programs.
Patients directly take this medicine to help reduce opioid withdrawal symptoms, minimize cravings of opioid drugs and induce a high amount of cross-tolerance to other opioids. In some instances, it can also be prescribed to reduce pain.
How Can One Get Addicted to Methadone?
Though this drug has several therapeutic uses, continued intake can lead to addiction. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health which was conducted in the year 2017, approximately two hundred and sixty-one thousand individuals from the age of twelve admitted to having used methadone for purposes that weren’t prescribed at least once in their life. The same survey found out that this synthetic opioid agonist was responsible for 3194 overdoses in 2017.
- If a person uses such a drug for a long time, their bodies develop tolerance to it, and that could result in dependence. Such individuals will need a higher dosage of the medicine to feel the effects.
- Since methadone is a Schedule II controlled substance, it means that it could possibly lead to abuse and psychological dependence.
- It is likely that persons using this drug can experience dependence and withdrawal symptoms when they try to discontinue the usage.
Methadone Withdrawal Symptoms
Although this substance is used to cure withdrawal symptoms among individuals who’re addicted to heroin and other opioids, continued use may lead to dependence and an associated withdrawal syndrome. Symptoms from methadone withdrawal include:
- Depression and insomnia
- Tearing or watery eyes
- Aching muscles and joint
- Running nose that won’t go away
- Nausea or vomiting and diarrhea
- Goosebumps, shivering and trembling
- Excessive sweating and abdominal cramps
These symptoms take between 2-4 days to develop and fade after ten days.
How to Use Kratom to Help Methadone Addiction
Well, many individuals attempt to deal with withdrawal on their own. Of course, withdrawal is not life-threatening, but symptoms associated with it are very unpleasant. Lack of proper withdrawal treatment can lead to cravings and relapse. Plus, other health complications may also develop and would require urgent medical attention such as electrolyte imbalance and lung infection that results from breathing stomach content into one’s lungs.
- Kratom is a herb that’s promoted for the treatment of these withdrawal symptoms. When it comes to treating methadone addiction, the goal is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms without making one tired or sleepy. Kratom combats addiction by targeting opioid receptors in the brain. In simple terms, this herb kills the brain’s desire when one is addicted to methadone.
- At a low dosage, Kratom herb acts as a stimulant to make one feel more energetic. At high dosage, Kratom acts as a sedative to make a person feel more relaxed and sleepy.
- Traditional withdrawal treatment can be expensive and time-consuming since they involve counseling and working on other support programs. That is why many prefer to deal with the symptoms on their own. A study done in 2015 found out that only 21.5% of persons with opioid disorders are getting treatment. And at the same time, many humans are dying from reasons related to opioid dependence.
However, Kratom presents a cheaper and readily available withdrawal treatment for patients suffering from methadone addiction. This herb can be bought more easily than prescription drugs not to mention it is just as effective.
What is the Correct Kratom Dosage for Methadone Addiction?
Well, the dosage is dependent on certain factors. However, it’s advisable that for persons trying this herb for the first time, to should start with a low dosage and gradually increase. That’s because one isn’t aware of Kratom effects on their bodies. So, it’s appropriate that you monitor the body’s reaction to this herb before taking a high dosage.
Any Side Effects of Kratom?
All drugs are known to produce adverse effects and kratom is not different.
Some side effects include
- dry mouth,
- and vomiting,
- drowsiness and dizziness.
These effects, however, should fade away within a short time. But consumption of large doses can lead to severe effects which will need immediate medical attention.
Even though there is little research about whether or not Kratom is safe for human consumption, reports from online users indicate that it helps one treat their addiction to methadone. Anyone who’d wish to try should remember to start with a low dosage and gradually increase. Also, as individuals take this herb for withdrawal treatment, they should not forget to stay dehydrated.