Kratom is a substance that’s native to Southeast Asia. The plant belongs to the same family as coffee trees. For this reason, it shares some of the energy boosting properties that caffeine has. For many years, this herb has been used by the native countries to relieve pain and help relax after a long working day.
But now, we are witnessing how kratom is increasingly becoming popular in western countries. Thanks to its many therapeutic properties, the plant is used as medicine for various ailments. The herb is especially beneficial to patients suffering from chronic pain, anxiety, and stress. And at times, the drug is also used to cure opiate withdrawal. There are also folks who use it to get their energy boosted.
But did you know that this herb has anti-viral properties that can help boost your immune system? If you are asking, is kratom anti-viral? That is what we are going to answer in this guide and also explore Kratom anti-viral properties.
Kratom and Immune System
To understand the effects of this herb in one’s immunity system, it’s essential that he or she learns about alkaloids and their content. Kratom derives its therapeutic properties from alkaloids that are present in its leaves.
- Alkaloids are naturally occurring molecules in plants and fungi which contain nitrogen. Some studies claim that they protect plants from animals and insects. But it’s not correctly clear the function of these alkaloids in plants. Alkaloids have potent medicinal properties. They can treat pain, inflammation and immune disorders, to mention but a few.
- The main alkaloids found in this plant are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. But even though these two are the main ones, Kratom leaves contain other 25+ alkaloids and compounds which have their properties too.
The compounds which are beneficial to the immune system include mitraphylline, isorhynchophylline, and isomitraphylline. But together, all these alkaloids and compounds have a synergistic effect said to be useful in boosting the immunity. This combination of substances will help one to fight illnesses, bacterial and virus.
Kratom Anti-Viral Properties
Kratom leaves have anti-viral properties. When one suffers a cold or flu, probably it’s because you have a virus infection. Before we go further, you’ll need to know that bacteria and viruses are completely different. Often many people confuse the two.
- But remember, bacteria are living organisms which you can treat with antibiotics. However, even without the antibiotics, your immune system is capable of killing bacteria on its own sometimes. But viruses are not alive, and therefore, your immunity can’t kill them. They invade cells in the bodies and use these cells to reproduce. That’s why antibiotics can’t be effective when treating viruses.
- Your immune system will need to produce antibodies that will prevent viruses from replicating and therefore getting rid of them. Earlier, we said that Kratom leaves contain epicatechin. The flavonoid has many antiviral properties that will help you combat common viruses. Antivirals work by inhibiting the replication of viruses.
Kratom for Cold and Flu
Cold and flu bring about some irritating symptoms. Kratom can naturally get rid of these symptoms and treat these diseases. Some of these illnesses symptoms that can be healed by this plant include aches, trouble sleeping, and lethargy.
- If you are having a cold or flu, it’s best that you use red vein strain which will help you to sleep and relax while relieving pain at the same time. You can also try using the white vein kratom to give you more energy. Some people may also suffer mental fogginess caused about by cold and flu. They should use kratom leaves to help improve focus and mental activity.
What is the Correct Dosage for Kratom?
To be able to enjoy the antiviral property of kratom, you need to know the right dosage. Well, this herb is available in many forms. Dosage can be decided depending on the type. You can consume this herb as:
- Raw powder – kratom leaves are dried and powdered.
- Capsules – kratom capsules are filled with powder or extracts and sometimes fusions.
- Extracts/resins- come from boiling kratom leaves in water, alcohol or citrus liquid into a paste.
The kind of effect one wants to enjoy from kratom will determine how many grams they’ll take. For instance, if a person is using it for boosting energy, 3.6 grams a day will be enough. All in all, when taking this herb, one should remember that our bodies are different and we won’t react the same even when the dosage is equal. Therefore, it’s advisable that especial4ly if you are a beginner, to start with a small dosage and gradually increase.
The Best Strains for Immune System Problems Caused by Viruses
There is not much research done in this regard. But, it is believed that many strains are capable of positively impacting the body’s immunity. Here are however the three particularly potent strains that could improve your body’s ability to fight viruses and infection.
Maeng Da Kratom
It’s the most popular strain. It has a high concentration of mitragynine that is useful in boosting energy while relieving aches caused by viruses.
As the name suggests, it grows in Malaysia. If you take it in a small dosage, it’ll boost your energy. But taking this strain in high dosage has a sedating effect which could help if you have trouble sleeping due to a virus infection.
If one is seeking to ease pain, this will be a right strain for them. We recommend the green vein Borneo as it is a balanced strain.
Should I Expect Any Side Effects?
All drugs have side effects and kratom is not different. But, worry not as there are not many reports of this herb causing problems with the immune system. Generally, its effects are quite minor as long as the herb is consumed in small amounts with breaks being taken at regular intervals.
They include nausea, voting, dizziness, and diarrhea. These symptoms should last for only a few minutes. But if taken in a more massive dose, the herb can cause severe effects which include seizures and palpitations. It’s best that once you notice any strange health issues, you get immediate medical attention.
As we have seen above, kratom has antiviral properties. So if you are suffering from regular flu and cold, you should probably take this herb to help you deal with these illnesses. But, before you do that, it’s advisable that you speak to your doctor first.