Kratom is a plant that grows in South East Asia. For years, it has been used as medicine. The herb contains therapeutic and medicinal properties that enable it to alleviate chronic pain as well as anxiety disorders among other illnesses. It’s only in recent years that this plant started gaining popularity in the Western countries.
The herb has three different strains, that is, green vein, white vein, and red vein. There are also several subtypes depending on the place origin. When one consumes this herb, they can experience euphoric, energetic, relaxation or sedation effects. While this herb can help relieve pain and lessen depression, there are concerns about how safe it is for human use.
Opioid painkillers are best for controlling chronic pain. But, it is said that long time use of these herbs can lead to liver and kidney damage as the painkillers place extra strain on these organs. And since Kratom works the same way as these opioid drugs, many people are concerned on the effect this herb can have on their kidneys.
The Function of Kidneys in Human Bodies and Main Issues
- 1 The Function of Kidneys in Human Bodies and Main Issues
- 2 Kidney Stones
- 3 Is It Possible for Kratom to Cause Kidney Stones?
- 4 How Dehydration affects Your Kidneys
- 5 Can Kratom Lead to Other Kidney Infections?
- 6 How Can You Protect Kidneys from Kratom Damage
- 7 Final Thoughts
Human beings have two kidneys located on the upper abdominal area but towards the back. One kidney is on the right and the other on the left. They filter and remove toxins by turning the waste into urine. Some conditions affecting the kidneys include kidney stones, renal failure and polycystic kidney disease to name but a few. Let’s take a look at one of these diseases that could be caused by the intake of high doses of Kratom.
Sometimes mineral deposits can be formed in the kidney or ureter. When they accumulate and because very large, the stones can prevent urine from flowing causing a lot of pain. If left untreated, they can lead to other serious illnesses. These stones are said to be caused by three main factors:
- Accumulation of substances that can cause stones such as uric acid or calcium
- Lack of contents in the kidney that can keep the mineral deposits from accumulating
Is It Possible for Kratom to Cause Kidney Stones?
Numerous studies have been done to show the relationship between kratom and kidney health, but there’ve just been performed on animals. There’s one particular research based on anecdotal evidence that concluded kratom use by healthy individuals poses no harm to the kidneys. But, it’s essential to remember that this wasn’t scientific research. There aren’t any scientific researches on the effects of kratom on human kidneys.
- But there are claims that kratom can be diuretic. Some people report that after consumption of this herb, they tend to urinate a lot more than the usual. If a kratom user uses the drug daily and experiences this effect every other day, they can be at risk of getting the kidney stones.
- That’s because diuretics leads to loss of fluid which in the long run can cause dehydration and as earlier said it’s one of the causes of kidney stones.
How Dehydration affects Your Kidneys
Could Prevent Your Kidney from Being Functional
- Kidneys are responsible for converting the waste toxins substances into fluids. And the body will then dispose of these fluids in the form of urine. Lack of enough fluids in one’s kidney could make them not to function correctly or at all.
Could Cause Kidney Stones
- Daily use of Kratom can increase the chances of getting kidney stones. That happens because substances that can form the stones can no longer be withdrawn since the kidneys are ineffective. Experts advise that individuals who use the drug daily to ensure that they drink a lot of water too.
Could Lead to Kratom Constipation
- When a person is dehydrated, their intestines are forced to absorb more water from the components of the intestinal tract. Adding that to the fact that sometimes kratom can produce slower the movements in the intestines, kratom constipation can occur.
Can Kratom Lead to Other Kidney Infections?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the studies available to prove kidney effects caused by kratom have only done on animal and not human kidneys. But, there’re yet claims to deny or confirm the anecdotal evidence.
We’ve already looked at how kratom can cause kidney stones through dehydration. The presence of kidney stones puts one at risk of getting other kidney complications. If the stones are large, they can cause blockage in the urinary tract which can increase chances of other infections. But also, even small stones can cause infection without necessarily causing the blockage.
Also, since there’s not enough fluid in the body to fight bacteria when one is dehydrated, that could also provoke an infection.
How Can You Protect Kidneys from Kratom Damage
Well, even though there are chances that kidney stones may develop from high intake of kratom, the good news is that there are still some preventive measures you can exercise to prevent the accumulation of mineral deposits in your kidney. Here are some ways you can do that.
Avoid High Kratom Dosage
- Since the herb can cause dehydration, it is best that individuals avoid taking this herb in high doses. Of course, any substance in excess strains the body organs which can ultimately lead to failure of these organs.
- Therefore, it’s advisable not to use Kratom daily.
Keep Yourself Dehydrated
- If one is taking Kratom or any other diuretic, they should protect their kidneys by ensuring that they drink a lot of water. Experts say a person should drink at least eight glasses of clean water in a day.
- That way, he/she will provide their kidneys with enough fluids to keep them functioning.
Don’t Forget to Eat a Healthy Diet
- For regular kratom users, a healthy diet will help reduce the chances of developing problems associated with the herb.
- Eat foods that are rich in proteins, potassium and sodium minerals.
Kratom could cause kidney stones. But remember that is only theoretical since there is no evidence to back or deny the claim. However, one shouldn’t use that as an excuse to jeopardize their health. It’s essential that if you are taking or planning to take Kratom, to practice the safety measures to prevent severe kidney problems.